What is dorsal root ganglion (DRG) stimulation?
- DRG stimulation is a technology that uses electricity to block pain signals.
- DRG stimulation may be more appropriate than traditional spinal cord stimulation for some pain conditions, including CRPS, pelvic pain, abdominal pain, foot pain and knee pain.
- The goal of DRG stimulation is to decrease the pain signals along the nerve, which may decrease pain.
What is the process?
- First, you’ll undergo a trial, which is an opportunity to “test drive” the device.
- For a trial, one or more insulated wire leads are inserted through a needle into the epidural space. The leads are connected an external battery you can wear.
- The leads are left in place for 5-7 days and then removed.
- If you have pain relief or improvement in your daily function during the trial, the device can be permanently implanted.