What is occipital neuralgia?
- A type of neuropathic (nerve) pain that can cause of headaches as well as pain in the back portion of your scalp
- The pain typically is described as radiating (traveling) from the neck or scalp to the forehead
- Some patients may experience scalp sensitivity (such as when washing or brushing hair)
- This condition can occur after a car accident or other neck injury
What is an occipital nerve block?
- Injection of local anesthetic (numbing) medication near the occipital nerve
Who should consider an occipital nerve block:
- Patients with headache and/or neck pain
What to expect:
- Please see our nerve blocks section for general information on what to expect, post-procedure, and risks!